WIP - Mrs. Johnson at the Dennis’ Party

 “Do you think you can find the number for Papa John’s?” Roberto asks.


It’s ridiculous the way Delucca’s husband calls her out in front of all the people at their party.  Mr. Johnson talks like that to me.  But she shouldn’t have stood there and taken it in front of the guests and acted like nothing was happening.  What does Delucca do?  She pours more wine into everyone’s glass and brags about its excellence (as if a vineyard’s good performance can make-up for her lack, at least in the eyes of her husband).  And then she gushes about their dog.


Most of the neighbors know Daisy is an imaginary friend.


Incredible.


And this is the other thing, my daughter Juniper’s roommate, Sherry, from college is here with her future fiancé.  Juniper isn’t getting married anytime.  In the middle of this fiasco of burned dinner and imaginary dogs, I see my daughter across the yard talking to Marianne’s girl.  I know I’m not being kind when I say this, but Juniper doesn’t need the gossip of being associated with her.  Vanessa has a kind of mental disorder where she sees people that aren’t real.  Should I stop meddling?  I concentrate on the silliness Delucca preaches about dinner, dogs, and marriage.


“Where is Daisy?” Sherry asks.


Delucca says something unintelligible and pours another round.  I try to warn Sherry the dog isn’t real, but she doesn’t seem to get it.  Delucca has won her and her fiancé, Dillon, over to the idea about asking for a puppy as part of their registry.  “Puppies,” Delucca says, “are easy to train.  You just need the right cage.”


“Speaking of prisons,” I say.  “When is Roberto going to release you from the kitchen?”


Delucca laughs and pours more wine in my glass until it overflows.  “Didn’t you hear?   His food burned.  We’re ordering pizza.”  


This is the last thing I remember….


It’s strange the way your mind works when it’s swimming in alcohol. The street sign in front of me says Meditation..  It isn’t any street I recognize.  I have it in my head I must keep walking until I find a place I know.  Then I’ll find my way back.  


Characters based on “Girls Outside” from Stories from the Grove by L.A. Wolfe.

Comments

Popular Posts